Saturday, December 22, 2007

Know thy self.

In 2006 I did my yoga teacher training and it was an incredible experience, I learned so much, not only about yoga but about myself as well. One of the things I learned was that I was prone to anger and cutting remarks.

I know, shocking, right? Whatever.

Okay, I knew that I had a temper and that I was reputed to have a sharp wit but I thought it was just that. You know, some people like wine, I like cutting remarks that are well timed with deadpan delivery.

Turns out few people found it entertaining or if it was entertaining it was only when it wasn't directed at them and people close to me found it annoying, frustrating, and hurtful. So I undertook a program of self examination and even read "Non-violent Communication" (great book by the way, real eye-pryer-open). Though lots of people doubted my intentions at first, many remarked on the change and thanked me for my efforts later.

But when you're on vacation programs of self control tend to fly out the window, you start off saying yes to dessert and a second buffalo curd and next thing you know you can't fit into your pants or, in my case, open my mouth without some barbed piece of repartee zipping out and heading straight for a major artery. This goes on until something brings it to your attention. In the case of the pants maybe you catch your belly fat in the zipper, in my case someone wrote a song. Because he's British and I'm American it's supposed to be a western prairie kind of ditty.



I wish I was a hillbilly, happy on moonshine
Senseless would be better than hurtin all the time
what have I done to Teletha? I am in the dark
Like a drunk who's stumbled into a trailer park.
Always when I talk to you, you have a quick retort,
Often it is witty but sometimes it just hurts.
Fast wits are a blessing, don't let them be a curse.
Were you hurt sometime, now have to get in first?

Chorus
Life's full of opportunities, we miss them every day,
this goodbye's the saddest kind of yippee ya yay

I am just an Englishman, I don't know your right and wrong,
but I pass my counsel on in a secret song.
I shared with you my secrets, you just had a laugh,
I wonder if you are an inadequate psychopath?
I think you're good at heart, why do you play this game?
Is it that your parents gave you an awkward name?
It is because I care I correct what you do.
You'd be happier with more; sorry, please, thank you.
So kindly let manners be your queen and king,
Do you have time before you go to take a spanking?

Chorus
Life's full of opportunities, we miss them every day,
this goodbye's the saddest kind of yippee ya yay

Thank you Jim-the-Englishman for letting me know that my mouth was making me look like a big ass.

Of course, having said that, Jim is a narky smart-ass himself. Takes one to know one.

Oh and I love that, without knowing anything much about me, he included a trailer park and moonshine, the yipee yay ya was the treacle on the curd.

No comments: